Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Planning, planning

There's nothing like getting the new Park Seed catalogue. I had some real issues with slugs this year. They got after my cauliflower and I think those plants are doomed. Having pets around means that the best stuff for slugs is NOT the best thing to use around the four-footers, so I am hoping the Sevin does the trick. I am still watching that cabbage I planted almost a year ago and that seems to be FINALLY making some "head"-way.
Being a new gardener means huge learning curves, I guess.
I don't know if I am going to try tomatoes again this Spring. I haven't had ONE tomato off my own plants.
Squash, on the other hand - those tried to take over the planet last year! GOOD EATING, though.
I do have some lovely kale and collards. I got a little bit of broccoli out of my plants.
I don't know if I am going to try melons again. They took WEEKS to ripen. Literally. So, I need to either find out what I did wrong, or just forget it.
I will plant eggplant again. I had the loveliest little baby eggplants last year! Also lots of cukes.
I finally turned off the irrigation system, since we are having so much great rain. I might go set it so that the veggies get a good drenching once or twice a week, but, as long as Ma Nature is taking care of it, that saves me about $100 a month!

No comments: