Tuesday, March 03, 2009

gluten the villain

Not to go into symptoms here, but, if you have gluten sensitivity, you know what I've been dealing with for years. At first, I thought it was milk. Cutting out cow's milk didn't do anything. THEN I went on a weight-loss regime that involved cutting out most bread and I noticed that the days I had meals with NO flour products, just rice or potatoes for the starch, that I got much better. SO, we did a week of elimination, then, immediately upon restoring flour, back to square one.
Well, that's pretty loud and clear.
I am learning to love rice-flour products. I picked up English muffins, bread and bagels at Whole Foods, as well as the DIY stuff for the bread machine. The muffins are scrumptious, and the bagels properly chewy. Very good. I gave away all my wonderful "King Arthur" flours to a friend who's into bread-making and it hurt like hell to see my brioche mix go out the door.
However, if I just think how uncomfortable I would be if I ate it kind of helps.
More label-reading in my life. It's amazing how many products, like SOY SAUCE and BEER have gluten lurking in there! I guess rice-beer is in my future. Definitely have to keep an eye on sauces....AND MY FRIENDS. When you say you cannot eat something, you get a lot of "just this once won't hurt" but it does. I love them, they love me, but it's hard to communicate the severity of this. I am hoping whatever damage has been done over the long term will start to heal.
I am thinking about getting a grain mill so I can do my own rice flour, but we shall see how the DIY works out first.

1 comment:

Esther said...

I so understand the problem with friends who think a little will not hurt !

I'm guessing that you have self diagnosed so I will give you the same advice I give everyone.. go and get tested for Celaic while the gluten is still in your system. I don't know about the states but in the UK being officially tested gets you all sorts of extra advice and discounts and things I can't get as I self diagnosed years ago when there was a lot less info out there. I'm not prepared to lose several months of my life current to prove it one way or another. While you might not be celiac and still have a problem with gluten if you are the rest of your family should be checking too as some don't have symptoms but can still be coursing long term damage to their bodies.