Saturday, April 25, 2009

Gluten-free quiche

Easy enough on this one! You just make a crust out of potatoes! This whole GF thing is turning out to be a pretty interesting adventure. They have a spinach-and-artichoke quiche on the menu at "Major Grumbles," a local restaurant, so I thought that would be fun to make for the "girls" when they came over for our monthly book/photos/catch-up get-together. Worked great. OF course, eggs and potatoes go so well together, anyway.
I am going to take a deep breath and try my own bread this week. It has to be better than the ready-made stuff on the market. For some reason, the minute a manufacturer has to leave something OUT of a product, they make it twice as SWEET. I cannot figure this out. It applies in spades to low-fat concoctions and, to a large degree to the GF products. I bought some croutons, olive-oil and garlic, and they tasted like garlicky cake. Gross. Just what is the thinking behind this? The bread is the same deal...too sweet to make great toast or sandwiches. Very dense and chewy as well. SO, a little experimenting is in order. I'm going to try some of the suggestions from my support-group and see how it goes.
I should have taken a picture of the quiche. Maybe next time.

No comments: