Saturday, August 01, 2009

coffee makers

Being a coffee junkie, I must have one of every kind of coffee-maker known to humanity, going from my old camp percolater, to the big, programmable one for parties, my old (all-time favourite) KRUPS 4-cup drip coffee-brewer, (which was a premium with a "Gevalia" subscription at the time) a "portable" espresso-maker, (Handpresso) my "Barista" espresso machine, the French press and on and on and on...recently, I've been fooling around with one-cup machines.
The Senseo...nice cuppas, does a good job on tea, you can get a DIY pod-maker for it. It leaks occasionally. The water-reservoir doesn't always "sit" reliably in it's dock and you can come in and find water all over the place.
Tassimo: BIG THUMBS-DOWN. There is no way to make your own t-discs, number one, and they are expensive. If you don't get the t-disc directly on the punch, you can end up with coffee grounds or MILK all over the place. Also very difficult to clean. When I decided to move it out to my workshop, where it doesn't get used as much, I noticed milk and chocolate from the milk and the cocoa disks encrusted all over the machine's innards. VERY hard to get to and clean. I had to use q-tips, a toothbrush and toothpicks to get the crud off. I have the Braun and a friend has the Bosch...they both have the same cleaning issues!
Also, the little tank that holds your cup fills up with water really fast...some kind of run-off from the reservoir when the coffee is brewing. You have to remember to empty it out every couple of days.
I am now using my KEURIG and like it hugely. You do have to fill the reservoir each time you make a cup, but this is not a problem. VERY secure in terms of the "punch"...there's no way you CAN'T put the cup in properly and no spillovers. Even if you over-fill the reservoir, it's fine. You also get a refillable cup to use for your own coffee and a third party has a cup you can purchase that will take the "pods" from the Senseo-type coffee brewers.
Still kind of pricey, but, for the occasional cuppa, without wasting coffee as I do when I use even the 4-cup brewer.
When you live alone, small-quantity appliances are very nice.
Don't even LOOK at ANYTHING made by "Mr. Coffee." lousy stuff, and the "Cuisinart"
The "Handpresso" is brilliant. As long as you have access to some hot water, it's a wonderful gadget to have along on a trip, esp if you're out hiking etc. There's nothing quite as nice as pulling into a rest-area on the interstate and brewing yourself up an espresso! I fill my most reliable thermos with boiling water just prior to leaving and pack along expresso pods (I like ILLY pods..Starbucks sells them, as well.)
PS No, I ain't rich, I just know how to use "ebay!!!" I think I paid $20 for my last Senseo, bought when the first went belly-up. It was a new item, just cheaper because older. Maybe the newer ones don't leak as easily. Always cruise ebay and amazon.com before you buy anywhere else!

No comments: